ONLINE CHAT (IN BC & THE YUKON)
YouthInBC and CrisisCentreChat are programs of the Crisis Centre. They connect youth and adults with support, information, and resources between noon and 1am Pacific Time.
www.youthinbc.com (for youth) between noon and 1am Pacific Time
www.crisiscentrechat.ca (for adults) between noon and 1am Pacific Time
Important Phone Numbers
If you or someone you know needs help, call one of the numbers below:
- 9-1-1 if you are in an emergency.
- 1-800-SUICIDE (1-800-784-2433) if you are considering suicide or are concerned about someone who may be.
- 310Mental Health Support at 310-6789 (no area code needed) for emotional support, information and resources specific to mental health.
- Kid’s Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868 to speak to a professional counsellor, 24 hours a day.
- Alcohol & Drug Information and Referral Service at 1-800-663-1441 (toll-free in B.C.) or 604-660-9382 (in the Lower Mainland) to find resources and support.
Before starting the breathing pattern, adopt a comfortable sitting position and place the tip of the tongue on the tissue right behind the top front teeth.
To use the 4-7-8 technique, focus on the following breathing pattern:
- empty the lungs of air
- breathe in quietly through the nose for 4 seconds
- hold the breath for a count of 7 seconds
- exhale forcefully through the mouth, pursing the lips and making a "whoosh" sound, for 8 seconds
- repeat the cycle up to 4 times
Helpful Web Sites:
HeretoHelp is a website of the BC Partners for Mental Health and Addictions Information.
Canadian Mental Health Association
Kids Help Line
5 - 4 - 3 - 2 - 1 Grounding Exercise
This helps you orient to what you can notice with your senses in the present moment.
- Name five things you can see in the room.
- Name four things you can feel.
- Name three things you can hear right now.
- Name two things you can smell right now.
- Name one good thing about yourself.